The email in my inbox said, ” salivary cortisol panel results came back. patient appears deficient. Call if there are questions.”
Uh… heck yes I have questions.
1. Don’t you think it’s rude to tell me I’m deficient and not explain it?
2. Your mom’s deficient.
3. Deficient in what?
Cortisol apparently. This, combined with all of my other crazy symptoms and blood tests all point to [drum roll please]
What does that mean? Basically, my adrenals (what regulate stress, cortisol and hormones) are shot, and they’ve been that way for a loooooong time, which has affected my thyroid, pancreas and brain.
But… I’M 25 and healthy- how did this happen? Ohhhhhhh let me tell you. Come, children and learn from my mistakes.
Basically, I pushed my body for too long. I had an adrenal crash four years ago, but we had no idea what it was. When I first had some of the symptoms a few years ago, I had been working with kids like 60-70 hours a week for four years, going to school, leading four prayer hours, opening up the business, preparing to go overseas and trying to foster community. Seriously.
My adrenals were overworked and then shut down. At that time, I thought it was Meniere’s Disease, and we weren’t really sure what to do with it. I rested a little while and then went right back to running around trying to save the world. I opened up Bananarchy, then went on the World Race, which… man, it is by the sheer grace of God that I was able to do that as well as I did. I came home, and went back to my life. I had just learned to get used to my symptoms. And I learned how to rest better last year. But something just snapped in the beginning of March. It may have had something to do with California. As awesome as it was, it was crazy at times, and that probably contributed to some of it. I worked out realllllly hard the night that I got sick, and they’re thinking that was the tiny straw that broke the camels back.
There is so much I can say about why why why this happened to me, and I plan to soon.
….I’m in good company with this whole adrenal thing. Many of the spiritual leaders that I admire have had it: Bill and Beni Johnson, Kris V, Leif Hetland… several others… Rest is a big deal to God it seems.
How do I get better?
REST. Restorative sleep is crucial.
Supplements to get my body back to normal and to replenish things that it can’t produce on it’s own.
Hormone Replacement therapy.
Laughter and peace and safe community.
eating every three hours. not elevating my heart rate. (so I have to eat alll the time and I can’t work out…just before swimsuit season….. cooooool……. 🙂
They say it takes 3 months to two years to fully recover, and I’m believing that it’ll be sooner rather than later.
How can you help?
Pray. Oh how good God is to us! There are so many many many things that God is doing and showing me through this. It’s been the most difficult couple of months, but so beautiful. He answers prayer. It’s amazing how much He listens to us.
– my sleep. Apparently, the hours before midnight are some of the most critical to healing the adrenal glands. The goal is to get to bed by 10, but… it doesn’t always happen. Even when it does, I’m usually lying there for awhile. Insomnia is one of the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue. Please pray for restorative sleep, and that I would fall asleep quickly, PEACEFULLY, and stay asleep as long as my body needs. When I’m tired is when I’m the most vulnerable with my thoughts and feelings, so the nights are usually the roughest.
Drawn by my amazing friend, Audrey Lopata. I am so loved.
– Peace. Because this has effected hormones and stuff, my feelings can be so whacky. Random anxiety is another symptom of adrenal fatigue, because cortisol levels are all over the place. I never know when I’m going to have a good day or a bad spell, but I want to have peace in all of this. I feel like that’s one of the biggest things God is teaching me: to rise above feelings and know His peace at all times.
– there’s been so many people that have gone out of their way to love me. I’ve been praying that God gives them twenty times the blessing they’ve been to me.
– Bananarchy. Really just my business partner, Laura. This is alot for her to carry on her own.
– The thief will repay. So, yeah, my health is kinda wacky. But I believe that God is doing something in this season of my life to restore ALL things. To redeem everything about my life and prepare me for a life of joy and rest, regardless of what happens. I want to have deep encounters with Him. I want to use this as an opportunity for Him to do the most that He can out of this. Because He promises that all things work out for our good.Something that is REALLY cool: when my body gets better, like better better, I should be healthier than I’ve been in like ten years. At least. Yay God. We’re going to take this world through REST. AMEN.
God has been like amazing amazing amazing throughout all of this. And the biggest way that I’ve seen His love is by you guys. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. times a million.